I’m so thankful that, when Lou and I got married, we didn’t write our own vows.
Instead, we just stuck to the big ones: sickness, health, richer, poorer, etc., etc.
I think it’s pretty cute when other couples write their own vows and say, “I’ll let you play video games,” or “I’ll laugh at all your jokes.”
But, had Lou and I made those kinds of promises to one another, there’s no way I could be true to my vows.
Ten promises I’ve broken to my husband:
1. I told Lou that as long as he put the clothes in the washer and dryer, I would have no issue folding them right away.
2. I’ve promised Lou that I won’t let the kitties lick my plate after a meal. As I write this, Mia is chowing down on some leftover tomato sauce.
3. When I became a freelancer, I told Lou that, each day, I’d at least wear mascara. I didn’t even make it to week two.
4. Because I work at home, I also insinuated that I would take over all the dishes and general house-tidying responsibilities. Psh!
5. I don’t think I need to explain what has happened with the ironing.
6. I’ve also promised Lou that I would always, always want to hit the trail.
7. I’ve assured Lou (countless times) that I will squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom of the tube. I just checked our toothpaste and in spite of his rolling up the end, I’ve still squished it from the middle.
8. I also tell him I won’t let hair go down the shower drain.
9. When Lou bought his guitar amp, I told him it wouldn’t bother me at all when he played. After all, what kind of a wife wouldn’t support her husband’s art?
10. “If you let me get another kitty, emptying the litter box will be my job.”
Side note: Now I have Promises, Promises by Naked Eyes running through my mind. Listen and watch the rockin’ 80s video here.